Skip to main content

Why you should never compare yourself with other


I really was a shy twelve-year old (I know that is a long time ago). And during that time, I spent most of my school days comparing myself to others. But after a while, actually years, I finally opened my mind and saw that comparing really is a bad thing in life. Comparing is what sugar is for your health. It ruins attitude towards yourself. In my case, it really destroyed me. But, today I want to show you why you should not compare yourself, and where you should focus on. So let’s get started!

Comparing is never fair.
We all have a different past. We all are different.Maybe that someone has so much money because he started saving on an early age. As a result he has now more money, so what. Let your past be and focus on now. Or maybe your neighbor has a great six-pack. Don’t worry about it you are a good person, it doesn’t matter if you don’t have that six-pack. You will get there, if you want to. After all comparing will just never be fair. Because of the fact that we all are different and that doesn’t matter ;)

It destroys your sense of self. When comparing yourself to others, you will feel powerless. Because they have what you want. Although, they haven’t got thing you have other skills they want to acquire. So, be happy with yourself. Enjoy what you have. Because when you are comparing you will only let yourself down.

Focus with yourself, not others.
It doesn’t matter if someone is better. If you want to have the thing the other has, work on it. Develop yourself. Otherwise you will only complain and complain over and over. I believe in you. You can become everything you want. Yes, it takes a really long time sometimes. But if you have the motivation to do it. You will become/do it. To conclude, we all can grow into what we imagine ourselves to be.

Try not to get lost in comparing yourself to others. Discover your gifts and let them shine!

Last but not least. You can compare under one circumstance; if you see something another has/does, and you want it, than you can set it on your list of things you want to accomplish/or have. And even under these circumstances, try not to do it that often. And keep smiling people, this life is not at all times so serious :)

Ingmar Heikens
5/4/2018



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recontextualization; a change in framing

One day, about two or three years ago, my little brother stole my bar of chocolate. I was mad and lost my respect towards him. Later on that day I asked ‘Why did you steal my bar of chocolate?”. He said “Because it is mine”. I said “No it isn’t”. “Yes it is” he kept saying. Then my mom came in the room and asked why I didn’t eat my chocolate bar. My perspective changed; I could n’t find my bar and I said that he stole it , which he didn’t. My facts didn’t changed but the way I looked at it did. This is called recontextualization. The importance of Recontextualization When we get the inside in this phenomena we learn how we can change or perspectives. It also opens up the possibility of radically changing your understanding of a situation or facts without changing the facts. In my opinion, reality can hide the things that are in our reach. It helps us to put the right things in the proper context. Another example, ‘a man is jumping’. Think for a second a

The game of money

I, myself, had never a good view about money. Money just was there to get me something. My parents always bought things for me. Last week started thinking about it what it is and why people have so many problems with it. Because I thought is was just simple, but is it? The problem with money These days people are getting more and more materialism (including myself). Materialism means that people buy this because of emotional triggers such as breaking up, thinking they will be more fulfilled. And to solve this problem you certainly don’t have to buy things. You have to look at yourself. Look at your inner game. Look at what kind of beliefs you have about money. And perhaps write them down. Think by yourself about your own long term view. Because thats what counts. Not your fulfillment at that time. I know it is hard, I have been there myself. But you can do this, you can start right now. And if you aren’t buying because of emotional triggers, good job! The definition of money

How to Love Yourself

A lot of people are struggling with a low self esteem, myself included. I still struggle with it. Maybe you recognize yourself in this; I don’t look that good, I have some flaws or I can’t do this huge project I want to do. Maybe you don’t look after yourself while you look after everyone else. My views lately, have changed on loving yourself and I increased my self confidence with some exercises. But also by reading about this subject. there is not a lot concrete studies done on this subject. So, you have got to find your own way in this (and maybe do some research yourself). Although, in this article I will give you a start with some exercise and some wise words. The mirror exercise Firstly, a exercise that helps a lot when you feel down about yourself. It will give, at least in my opinion, a feeling that you are worth it. Get towards a mirror up close to your face. Really look towards your skin. Take yourself in. And then, say out loud; ‘I love and accept exactly how you are’. Tw