Skip to main content

The Four Ways of Letting Go


A short while ago, I felt myself attached to the past and the uncertainty what we call the future. I would be thinking about what I did wrong or what hurt me. But it was the past. The past were we have no control over. We can better let go of it. But that is the hardest part of the mind. When one practises this for years they can master it. And they can let go of the heavy load they always have carried around. However, most people don’t practice it. They can also let go of most of the load by committing to one of the four ways of letting go.

“it’s only heavy when you hold it but if you let it go it gets no weight at all” - Ajahn Brahmavamso

Throw Things Away 


The first way of letting go sounds so simple. Although it is way harder than it sounds because we get attached to things too quickly. Besides that we get attached to the past or the future by our minds. To calm your body and mind is to let go of the bygone days and our fates. Stick to the present by the practice of mindfulness. The practice of mindfulness can be formed in many different ways. So, find your style and practice it regular. Because you will learn more when letting go of the past, when you let the future be and when you find yourself in the now. A tip: you can also let physical thing trow away as a symbol of letting go of the past. This will maybe help you in the process

What Freedom is


Secondly, study what your freedom is and stay out of those places. Places where you don’t want to be are like prison. You will suffer in those places and learn what freedom is. The places where you want to be is your freedom. As long as you want to be there you are free. This also can be practice by mindfulness. A great book to read about freedom is Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. He writes down his experiences as an Auschwitz concentration camp inmate during World War II. Frankl gives in his book life lessons that many otherwise won’t learn; what freedom really is. Realize that you can choose to be free. Even in the hardest circumstances. Because no one can take away your believes.

Giving


Give but expect nothing in return for it, That is one of the finest principles in life. Once, put in practice will learn to let all expectations go. That leads to a more fulfilling life. This way will lead to improvement in health and happiness. You will learn to love doing this and not for the reward.
Love the process more than the end result is also a good lesson for finding your purpose in life. If you want a job because of the idea of being in that job, it is a waist of your time. Because every once in a while you will hit a plateau where you don’t get results. At those moments you have to practice a lot before rising to a next level. Therefore, you will love the process and not the stereotype of being in that job.

Biases


You probably know some biases you have. About your barber or your nephew. You should let those go. And you know it. Never allow your biases to be in the way of the truth. Ask them about your biases or find it out some other way. So, you can replace those prejudges for the actual truth.

Attachment is the root of all suffering
- Buddha

Ingmar Heikens
1/12/2018





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Effective memory; The self-growth-journal pt 1

I always had a journal, but I admit never organized it. After watching youtube videos and doing research. I had the motivation to start one myself. One, where I could put all my knowledge into, and where I could write all the things I want to. This is part-one in part-two I will talk about how you can create a brilliant journal where you will feel at home. I think I have found my way in journalling, hopefully you will do after this serie. So, Today I will share you why you will benefits from creating your own self-growth journal. Why you should consider starting a journal, 1, You will increase your own memory up till 90% . Studies shows us that by writing and thinking it down you will grow your memory and remember more. So you will still know what that book is about you read last year. And remember when your friends birthday is ;) 2, You will discover yourself more and more . By writing down thoughts and emotions. You will see how you behave and will learn from your own experienc

Recontextualization; a change in framing

One day, about two or three years ago, my little brother stole my bar of chocolate. I was mad and lost my respect towards him. Later on that day I asked ‘Why did you steal my bar of chocolate?”. He said “Because it is mine”. I said “No it isn’t”. “Yes it is” he kept saying. Then my mom came in the room and asked why I didn’t eat my chocolate bar. My perspective changed; I could n’t find my bar and I said that he stole it , which he didn’t. My facts didn’t changed but the way I looked at it did. This is called recontextualization. The importance of Recontextualization When we get the inside in this phenomena we learn how we can change or perspectives. It also opens up the possibility of radically changing your understanding of a situation or facts without changing the facts. In my opinion, reality can hide the things that are in our reach. It helps us to put the right things in the proper context. Another example, ‘a man is jumping’. Think for a second a

How observation improves yourself

Last week I talked with a good friend of mine about observation. How we could learn from others, just by observing them. I was really interested in this subject. And did some research and there is a lot about observation out there, on the internet. Mainly, I like the idea of observing because you learn a lot about others. Because body language is universal and the same applies to facial expressions. Besides, the body language, there is also a lot to learn about leaders. How they become successful and how we can learn from them by observation. Therefore, today we are going to discuss observation. What is observation Firstly, let’s talk about the basics; What is observation and what not. Observation is accurate description of what is accuring. Based on objective observation. Such as, a baby smiles, a mother which turns to the baby touches her cheek. Notice these things accuring but don’t judge it. So don’t base your observation on subjective detection. For example, a baby wants att